Sunday, August 16, 2009

ARIGATOU SO MUCH

This past week has been one of the best of my life! We had such a wonderful week with our friends from Japan, The Iinuma (pronounced ee-nooma) Family. Words cannot begin to express the love I have for each of them. It is amazing to me the similarities we share. For example, when Sachiko (the mom) whipped out her "List" for souvenirs at Disneyland, I thought Daren was going to die laughing because I've been known to carry a "List" around a time or two. She loves to travel, get good deals and loves being a wife and a mother. Although, my hat goes off to her...she does laundry everyday.
It was a privilege to show them our country. They kept saying, "Everything is so big!" They had never experienced a large open space such as the American highway - straight as far as the eye could see or so many lanes on the freeway. They have never seen a cactus before. They were amazed to go to Wal-Mart and see our oversized ketchup bottles and our buckets (gallon sized) ice cream. They were shocked to see the size of our potatoes. Daren loved telling them about the Idaho potatoes and how large they are. I was amazed and admired their dedication to education and professions. I admire Toshiya (the dad) who works tirelessly to provide a comfortable lifestyle for his family. These people are truly amazing and they have forever touched my heart.

We were able to go to Disneyland with them. Yukiho (the daughter) loves everything American-from cheeseburgers, rootbeer, candy to Disneyland.


This is my favorite picture of our trip because approximately 1 year ago, as I was saying my prayers one evening, I prayed that the Japanese student that would be staying with us would be a good fit for our family and that we would have a good experience with him. Over 235 students came. I know it wasn't just coincidence that Sotaro came to our family. I know that God heard my prayer and answered it. I know that the hand of the Lord was involved with us meeting them and I will forever be a better person for knowing them. We have laughed together, cried together, and shared stores together. When I dropped them off at the airport in Los Angeles, I had to pull over and stop driving because I was crying so hard. It broke my heart to have them leave America. I know we will see them again but it might be many, many years. Daren said when he left Portugal as a missionary, it was a similar experience. I'm grateful for modern technology of e-mail and blogs to keep in touch with them.

While they were here, we tried learning some Japanese. One day Camille said, "Arigatou so much" which means, thank you so much, so much. A simple Arigatou is sufficient to say thank you so much but she added on the extra so much.

So, I'd like to say to The Iinuma Family:

Arigatou so much for coming to America.

Arigatou so much for your friendship.

Arigatou so much for touching our lives. You will forever be in our hearts.

Finally, to my Father in Heaven, Arigatou so much for blessing us with the opportunity of knowing The Iinuma Family. It was been such a sweet blessing!

1 comment:

Anna said...

What a great experience to share the wonderful food and great places of our country with another family. You guys are such great hosts!