Sunday, October 4, 2009

CONFERENCE EXPERIENCE

The first weekend of April and October our church holds General Conference. It takes place in Salt Lake but is broadcast all over the world via television, Internet, radio, etc., and in numerous different languages. It is one of my favorite weekends of the year. We rarely plan anything on these weekends. We stay in our pajamas most of the weekend as a family to watch conference together. Since we don't go to our normal Sunday services or meetings, it is such a nice relaxing time we can spend together as a family and hear inspiring messages from our church leaders.

If it is General Conference weekend, you must have a fort. And cinnamon rolls.
But this year things went a little different than expected. Sunday morning, about 45 minutes before conference was to begin, our power went out from the storm. I was in the middle of making cinnamon rolls and I think my neighbors could hear me scream, NOOOOOOOOOO! Timing plays such an important role in the roll making process and this was definitely an inconvenience. Well, since the power didn't come on when conference started, we listening to it on the Internet, compliment of Daren's battery operated laptop. Well, it was bugging me listening to it on the computer because it kept freezing so I went in the car to listen to it by myself. When President Monson started by saying, "We'd like to welcome all of those listening via Internet, radio, television, satellite, etc. I think he forgot to say and those listening in their car in their pajamas! About half way through the Sunday morning session, the power was restored and thankfully we were able to watch the rest on television and the cinnamon rolls turned out too! I did NOT like experiencing conference the "Pioneer" way.
But most of all, I love the messages that were shared. They inspire me to be a better person and be a little kinder. When President Monson was talking, he was sharing a scripture from Matthew 25:40, which talks about serving other people. There is a part of it referring to the Savior that says, "When saw thee naked and clothed thee, when saw thee a prisoner, etc." Camille blurted out, "President Monson was in prison?" We all started laughing.
Then Abby asked later if the choir lip syncs. Some of the things they think of just totally make me laugh!
What a fun and relaxing weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forts and cinnamon rolls... what a great tradition! I'll be there in April ;)

Andrea said...

It was wonderful wasn't it?