Thursday, January 28, 2010

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE

The following TRUE story is the reason why my older brother just shakes his head at me in disbelief. I can't make this stuff up!

Yesterday, I had to drive to Midvale (a suburb of Salt Lake City) to buy Abby's birthday gift-Zhu Zhu Pets. I can never find Zhu Zhu pets in the store or online because they are so popular. So I found this lady in Midvale who sells them out of her house. When I got to her house, she had a whole closet FULL of Zhu Zhu Pets, Barbie cars, dolls and buses. I asked her where she got all these toys that she is selling for double the price on the KSL classifieds. Her reply was, "MY FRIEND." Well, I have NO idea where this lady came up with all these toys but I'm sure I bought some hawked items.

So, it is now 4pm. I have to be home and ready to leave again at 5pm to go out to dinner with my family to celebrate Abby's upcoming birthday and Tanner being inducted into the National Honor Society. But the truck is VERY LOW on gasoline. I pull into a gas station in a hurry. I see there are 2 gas handles - 1 green and 1 red. I place my credit card in the machine, lift the red handle and put $45 worth of fuel into the truck. When I leave the gas station, the truck is running really sluggish. I make it about a half block when I pull over and can't drive anymore. Long story short, I call a tow truck company, and a very nice but smelly guy with only a few teeth shows up and tows us to the Toyota dealership. By this time, Daren is on his way to pick me up at the dealership. I take out my gas receipt and call the gas station to ask them, "What the *!@#* are they selling at Pump #8?" Their reply, "RED DIESEL." What in the world is RED DIESEL? I thought the GREEN handle is diesel. Well apparently, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!

RED DIESEL is for farm equipment. I think this is VERY deceiving! Is it really red? Why don't they call it WHITE DIESEL? Or CLEAR DIESEL? Because the red handle means it is GASOLINE! I feel VERY deceived and VERY stupid! Well, the Toyota dealership called and they said it would be $1800 to fix this mess but then when I handed the phone to Daren to talk about the charges, all of a sudden it was now $1200 to fix. When Daren was talking to them they said, "Oh I guess you don't need a new $600 fuel pump!" REALLY? So today we are going to have it towed to our mechanic and hopefully it will cost less than the $1200 we were quoted!

WHAT A COLOSSAL WASTE OF MONEY!!!

(Side note-Daren was SO NICE to me when I told him what I did! Seriously, I think if the roles had been reversed, he'd still be hearing it from me--WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!! But he doesn't get upset about stuff like this.)

So the moral of the story is...Don't buy stolen toys from a lady in Midvale and just because the fuel handle is red, doesn't mean it is gasoline! It could be RED DIESEL!

Anyway, we made it to Tanner's induction to the National Honor Society on time, barely! WHAT A NIGHT! Congratulations Tanner on a wonderful achievement! We are so proud of you!

No comments: