Thursday, December 3, 2009

LIFE

13 years ago this week, my LIFE changed. When it was determined that my LIFE was in jeopardy due to my liver swelling, an emergency C-Section was preformed and I became a mother for the first time. A 3lb. 11oz. baby boy was placed into my arms 6 weeks ahead of schedule. Much pleading to my Heavenly Father began on my part for his LIFE to be spared and healthy. Those prayers were not only heard but answered. The NICU nurses called him a 'Miracle Baby' - no ventilator, no feeding tubes, no colic. He was a healthy, bald baby boy who was my miracle.
Every year about his time I remember the beginning of his LIFE. Those difficult days of leaving my first born in the hospital, being so sore from recovering from a C-Section but refusing to leave his incubator, even if it meant that I sat on a stool next to him while other mothers used the only few available rocking chairs. I remember longing to hold my baby but only being able to do so when it was time for him to eat so he wouldn't use extra energy. Having 2 miscarriages before his birth, I remember pleading and begging in prayer that he would be healthy and grow to be a strong man. I remember holding his tiny hand while I fed him and imagining where those tiny little hands would take him in his LIFE.

Now those hands are busy doing things like texting, homework, playing the piano, playing lacrosse, scouts and doing typical teenage things.

I thought it was ironic that on his birthday this week, he received his LIFE in the Boy Scouts of America. My mind raced back to those days of the NICU at St. Vincent's Hospital in Portland, Oregon when I worried if he would have a healthy LIFE.
I then immediately thought of HIS LIFE. I am so grateful that not only was I preserved but that my son was preserved to have a healthy LIFE. I know that HIS LIFE was one that I try to emulate in my daily LIFE but fall short. I know that HIS LIFE was perfect and full of love for mankind. He is the source of all that is good and wonderful in my LIFE. I love celebrating both of their LIVES this month!

Happy Birthday Tanner! You have brought me so much joy because you made me a mother!

No comments: