Thursday, February 12, 2009

GRAPEFRUIT TREE

Growing up in Arizona, we had a grapefruit tree. Every winter year after year we would enjoy fresh grapefruit, lemons and oranges. Even to this day, I love cooking with fresh lemons. They are the best!

Fast forward to now.

Grapefruit trees don't live in Utah, neither do any citrus trees. Every winter with the inversion, cold and snow, I CRAVE fresh Arizona grapefruit. Sure they sell grapefruits at the grocery store. But they taste horrible. They aren't the same as my Arizona grapefruit.

This past week I was blessed to receive a box of Arizona grapefruit! I can't stop eating them. The kids can't stop eating them. When they first came, I cut one in half and was walking around the house making everyone smell the grapefruit. It smelled like home and I started to cry.

Funny how the simplest things like fresh grapefruit can make one homesick for those warm Arizona winters!

2 comments:

marianne said...

Ah, come on. You're not loving snow, week after week after week?? And today, a nice Valentines Day snowfall just for fun?? :)

I love the snow. But this year I am with you--let's go to Arizona and warm up!!

Andrea said...

You can come to AZ and warm up anytime! I would love to see you! The citrus is wonderful here. I know my parents sure miss it!