Thursday, April 23, 2009

GOOD DEED

Recently I was in Las Vegas. I was driving in a really bad part of town (Charleston & Lamb - if you know the area.) All of a sudden I had a flat tire - like the kind you have to pull over immediately because you are driving on the rim type. Luckily, I didn't have the kids with me. I pulled over, looked around the parking lot and quickly realized I wasn't in the company of the tire changing crowd, if ya know what I mean. It was warm, about 100 degrees and to complicate things, everyone I tried to talk to didn't speak English. Oh, how I wished I had paid more attention in Spanish class in high school! :)

I said a prayer, stood on the sidewalk on Charleston hoping a policeman would drive by. Two actually did but didn't notice me waving my hands in distress. I got back in the car to call Daren, cry and come up a phone number to an auto club. Then I saw a nice little grandpa coming out of the store. To my excitement, he spoke English! And better yet...he knew how to change a tire. He began to change the tire but because it was so hot and he was an older gentleman, it took him a while. He was sweating really bad. I didn't want to be sitting in the air conditioned car while he was trying to use the jack to lift the car so I was in the heat right along with him. After about 15 minutes, I asked him if I could go into the store and buy him a cold drink. He said, "No thank you. Besides I have a cold beer right here in my sack." Just as he was about to finish, I reached in my purse to get some money to pay him. I only had $14 cash on me. When he finished, I handed him the $14 and told him we could go in the store to get more cash. I wanted to pay him for his time, since he was there for about 45 minutes changing the tire in the heat. He politely said, "I don't want your money." I offered him the money again and he refused. Tears came to my eyes. I couldn't believe this man's kindness. I looked at him and said, "May God bless you for your kindness." He then said, "Actually I do know of a way you can repay me. Do something nice for someone and that is all the payment I need." He turned and walked off down Charleston hot and sweaty with beer in tow. I stood there sobbing. There are good people in this world and I'm just grateful one of them happened to be buying beer on Charleston and Lamb.

Now, for my tire changing friend's challenge. I have a few ideas in store of how I'm going to repay my debt to him. I'll share that when it comes to pass. But for now, wouldn't this world be a better place if everyone did something nice for someone else without expecting anything in return? Thanks for teaching me and helping me nice grandpa in Las Vegas!

No comments: