Wednesday, November 10, 2010

LAST BREATH

It's not unusual for me to get a phone call from the elementary school during the day from one of the kids. Usually they don't feel good and want me to come get them, or they are bored at school and have some sort of "ailment" that they think they need to come home for. Usually I fall for the line because "WHAT IF" they really don't feel good and I leave them at school? I will have guilt! So, I will cave and go check them out.

However what happened yesterday went to a whole new level.

I was at lunch with a friend and my cell phone rings. I notice it was the elementary school. I answer the call because what if it is something really important? The call went like this:
Camille: Huh Huh Huh-breathing hard. Mom....I can't breathe.

Me: What's wrong? Are you hurt?

Camille: More hard breathing. No, I just can't breathe. Can you come check me out?

Me: Well what happened?

Camille: I don't know. Huh Huh Huh, trying to catch her breath. I was outside and it is cold, and well...I just can't breathe.

Me: Well you obviously can breathe because you are talking to me. Can I talk to the nurse?

Camille: More breathing sounds. Ok. Now in a normal voice, obviously found her breath. Mrs. C...my mom wants to talk to you.

I didn't fall for this one. Does she not know who she is dealing with? I was master at getting checked out or something like that. Between friends who had access in the attendance office or avoiding the recordings when the school called with an unexcused absence...I know better than to use the "I CAN'T BREATHE" excuse to get out of school.

Camille...C'mon you gotta come up with something better than that!

3 comments:

Erin said...

So I was reading in my high school journal this past weekend and found an entry where you, me, Lisa and Andrea ditched school on St Patty's day to go to the KZZP celebration at Butch O'Leary's. Yes, we got caught and my poor Pulsar was taken away for a week. LOL!!

Andrea said...

I vaguely remember that Erin. Why didn't we get a sweep pass? Obviously my parents never cought wind of that because I don't remember getting in trouble. I would love to read through your HS journals I am sure there are some funny stories.

JulzBlox said...

Okay Ladies...I have NO memories of the KZZP Radio Station ditchng. Obviously I WAS NOT there! I am sure I was busy studying and getting a great education! :)