Friday, October 3, 2008

#1 FAN LAYS IT ALL ON THE LINE!



HERE'S THE DEAL--My husband bleeds blue, I mean true BYU blue. Typically his days (especially in the fall) include reading the BYU boards, checking out new recruits, getting any and all facts pertaining to the team, coaches and players. On Saturday and Sunday evenings he LOVES to watch Sportsbeat on KSL at 10:35. Me on the other hand, would LOVE to go to bed at 10:35 but can't because Tom Kirkland, Bronco Mendanhall or various other sports figures invade my bedroom.

Deep down in my Aggie heart, I've always cheered for the Aggies to do well. I attended Utah State and I love it when the little guy upsets the big guy. I also love it when Utah State beats BYU and recovers the prized "Wagon Wheel." Daren knows and accepts my devotion to Utah State. He loves to point out to me that Utah State started out this season DEAD LAST in all of the polls. I think they've moved up a spot or two since.

In tonight's game, #7 BYU is taking on the lowly Aggies of Utah State. (Go Aggies, Go Aggies, hey, hey hey!) Daren is SO confident of BYU defeating the Aggies that he came up with an idea. He said that IF BYU loses he will NEVER attend another BYU game again. He will NEVER read the BYU boards again. He will NEVER watch Sportsbeat again. In essence, he will NEVER be a BYU fan again! For me, the mere proposition of being able to go to bed at a decent hour on Saturday and Sunday nights without Bronco in my bedroom sounds heavenly!

However, I am so torn. On one hand I really want Utah State to be the BCS Buster and beat BYU. I would FOREVER and EVER have bragging rights in the entire Bloxham Family! On the other hand, I want BYU to win because it would be awesome to keep the 'Quest For Perfection' alive and well. I know that if Utah State wins and Daren has to give up his self-induced punishment for losing, I would totally have mercy on him. How could I deny the guy access to his beloved Cougs? Seriously, what would the fall be like around here without them? So I think IF by some freak of nature, Utah State can pull out the upset, a trip to Hawaii would be redemption enough for the #1 Fan to still be a fan! As my friend Pam says in reference to BYU, "Why get upset over things you can't control!"

Little side note here-Somewhere, someplace on the other side is our beloved Grandpa Bloxham. He would always give me grief about being an Aggie fan. The last time we ever saw him was 2 years ago at the BYU/Utah State game. BYU won by a large amount. After the game, he looked at me and said, "Maybe next year, kid!" He passed away 48 hours later. I really miss him at the games and especially in the fall! But I know somewhere he is still cheering for the Cougs and would be giving me grief today about the Aggies. WE MISS YOU Grandpa!!!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow this could get interesting!

marianne said...

Even though BYU won, I think you still deserve a trip to Hawaii.
Sound like fun.

Heather said...

GO AGGIES, GO AGGIES, HEY HEY HEY! I actually had no desire to watch that game because even though my heart will always bleed AGGIE blue, I don't enjoy watching them play football. From the dawn of time, it's been one turn-over after another the entire game. But basketball is the season when we can be proud, right?

Dan said...

Hey Bloxhams. Great blog! I am a BYU and USU grad. But I am probably a bit like Daren in that I'm pretty addicted to BYU football and Amy does not dig the sportbeat stuff. Funny.

Valerie Chandler said...

I'm right there with you, Julie.

I love USU! Five years in Cache Valley made my feel loyal. But, I did the wife thing for four years at BYU so I like them, too. Football means a lot more to Greg than it does to me, so, even conflicted, I always secretly hope BYU wins. I just hope they will be nice about it.

And, I didn't realize that we had USU in common. Why did that never come up? :)