Wednesday, March 18, 2009

ROME IS BURNING & DAREN IS SLEEPING!

What a fun week we had in Portland, OR. I love this city so much! The recession has hit Portland hard with an unemployment rate of over 10%. While there, I did my part to help stimulate the local economy through shopping and eating at all our favorite restaurants. I knew I'd be able to help the local economy as soon as I realized this was the view from my hotel:
Some other fun things:
I went to my first Happy Hour (lemonade, of course) with the nurse who helped bring Tanner into the world. She is a wonderful person and is so talented in her profession. After visiting with her, I am reminded how grateful I am that The Lord blesses us with people in our lives when we need it the most. She is a great example to me of Christ-like love and I admire her kindness and compassion to her patients. I will always be grateful to you, Lorrie! You are truly an angel!

I went to lunch at Pazzo with my friend Erin. She is so funny and it is always a blast to see her. She is a dear friend, a talented architect, a wonderful mother and the most devout Catholic I have ever known. I admire her dedication to her faith and I appreciate our conversations about religion. And, she always knows the best restaurants in town!

I loved walking everywhere, especially when it was raining. I walked daily all over downtown. The cool breeze and the light rain was so calming to me each day.

We ate at my 3 favorite restaurants - Portland City Grill, Jake's & Morton's.

FUNNIEST MOMENT
One night at 1am while completely asleep, the fire alarm went off in our hotel. The first thought that ran through my mind is that we need to get the kids. Then I realized our kids weren't with us and I look over to notice Daren still sleeping. I start crying and yelling, THE HOTEL IS ON FIRE!! WAKE UP!!! Then over the intercom a voice says, "The fire alarm is activated. Stay tuned for updated information." So at this point, I am freaking out but yet still half asleep! We are on the 12th floor of a 15-story hotel. Daren is still in bed asleep and won't get up! I am running around the room yelling, "Rome Is Burning--WAKE UP!" I have no idea why I am saying Rome is Burning but I am freaking out. And Daren says, "Just let it burn!" I look out the window and don't see any fire trucks. I feel the door, it is not hot. I go in the hall to realize I am the only one out there. No signs or smells of smoke anywhere either. Meanwhile, Daren is still in bed, calm as can be! I am thinking, hurry get your computer and grab my purse-lets find the stairs and get out of here before the flames and smoke reach the 12th floor. He keeps telling me there is no fire. How can you be so sure? I am feeling totally deceived at this point because the voice on the intercom with "Further Instructions" never came back. So, the joke was on me because there was no fire and Rome was not burning. Needless to say, it was funny the next morning but it took awhile for me to go back to sleep...just in case there was a fire somewhere in the hotel. Daren on the other hand, slept like a baby.
A BIG THANK YOU to Daren's dad who did a wonderful job with the kids. They all had a great time. And a a BIG THANK YOU to Amy for doing Camille's hair each day. Camille would go to Amy's house with headband in tow. Amy would ask, "Camille how would you like your hair done today?" Camille's reply was the same each day, "Straight and in a headband please." And a BIG THANK YOU to Anna for helping with Abby, feeding her lunch, taking her to school, bringing my kids home.
I feel so blessed to have such wonderful friends and family!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I am glad you had a wonderful time! I am glad that Rome did not burn down! Did the fire alarm really go off or did you dream it?